Sunday, March 30, 2008

3Day Walk for Breast Cancer

I am blessed to have had the incredible experience of walking in the Breast Cancer 3-Day already twice in my life and look forward to walking once again in October this year. It is an amazing and life-altering experience! I do not know many things as beautiful as walking 60 miles over 3 days next to someone who has fought for her life and won.

I am healthy; I can run 6.2 miles in less than an hour, and I have never had to sit through an 8 hour chemotherapy drip; but I was tired, and my muscles ached and there were times when I didn't want to take another step. That's when I looked beside me and saw a woman with no hair and no eyebrows; whose body was marked by scars; and who had re-arranged her chemo schedule to participate in the walk. She was wearing what appeared to be an ordinary pink t-shirt, at least until I looked on the back of it and saw one word: Survivor. That's when I knew: I could do this. I could finish the walk.

This year I walk once again in memory of my grandmother, Anne Paisley Boyd, who lost her battle with BC in 1996 and who will always be my inspiration. But I also walk in honor of my 2 friends, Lea Ann Barnes and Teresa Howard, who have battled BC and won. The 3rd reason I walk came into my life in 2005: my daughter, Paisley. I pray that she will one day know a world with NO breast cancer. That she will never have to feel the pain of losing someone she loves to such a tragic disease... or worse - fighting it herself.

I hope that one day you, too, get to experience a life-altering experience such as this!

No comments: