Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More about Trisomy 18

Thank you for all of your kind thoughts and prayers for our baby girl (we will name her eventually, I promise!). It has meant so much to me to know that her health is being lifted up to the Lord by so many friends. I know that God hears every one of your prayers on her behalf and He above all can protect her and love her better than any of us can here on earth.

Several of you have asked for more information about Trisomy 18 so I'm including a few websites for you to check out if you'd like. 

I want to emphasize that our baby has not yet been diagnosed with Trisomy 18... the cysts that she has (and specifically the number of them) on her brain are just a red flag for this chromosomal defect. However, we are hanging onto the hope that since so far everything else looks okay, these are just what they call "isolated CPC's" (CPC being Choroid Plexus Cysts). This basically means they are there in the 2nd trimester but have no other purpose or significance. What we know for sure is that the cysts themselves will not harm the baby (no matter what) - they just may be an indicator of the Trisomy 18 defect.

Thank you also for praying for me and my anxiety. I am trying so hard to think positive and to not worry - because I know there is nothing I can do now anyway and God asks us to trust in Him and set our anxiety aside. My husband is much better at not worrying than I am - but I think that it is much harder to ask that of a mother (worrying is our thing, right?). In the meantime, I will try to focus on the following verse that a wonderful friend sent to me:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

No comments: