Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Father of Cool

My list of the 5 things I am most grateful for today:

1) Air Conditioning - ours went out yesterday on our top floor and it was quite toasty trying to sleep last night. Even opening the windows didn't help - it may have actually made it worse. As I whined and fussed about it, Curtis pointed out that they didn't have air conditioning back in the civil war and they survived the heat. Well "fiddlely dee"... I choose to focus on Willis Haviland Carrier - the "Father of Cool" - who invented air conditioning back in 1902. There will be many hot, southern summer nights in my future where I'll be quick to thank God for ol' Willis, I'm sure!
2) Kimber's New House. My friend, Kimber, is building her new house across the cul-de-sac from ours. As I walked outside this morning, I was reminded (as I often am) of the progress of their constuction. I have happy thoughts of our kids playing together as we sip lemonade together on her back porch (okay, so maybe we're sipping chardonnay but their both light yellow and you get the point!). What a blessing it will be to have such good friends living so close!
3) Sleeping babies. There is something so precious about watching a sleeping baby. The peace just exudes from their faces. As I watched Colby earlier today, I thought how comfortable he looked. Wrapped in a warm blanket, surrounded by cushy bumper pads, the fan humming above as it provides a gentle breeze, and some light tunes playing in the background. It sure is "rough" being (almost) 4 months old!
4) College football season - enough said.
5) Juice. Paisley was sitting on my lap earlier as I was starting this entry. I asked her what she's thankful for and she said "juice". As she said this, one major thought comes to mind: she doesn't drink juice so why would this be the one thing that she is most thankful for? I guess we can all learn from her young innocence. Sometimes giving thanks can be for things we don't even have any personal experience with... we can just be grateful for their mere existance in this world without having to partake... and that's perfectly fine with God too.

1 comment:

leigh ann said...

Today I'm thankful for rain. We've had two days of it in a row, and it looks like God got out his green paintbrush. Amazing. It's 67 degrees outside right now and it is 9:30! This is what I've been waiting for. :)