Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Happy 4th Birthday, Paisley!


I'm a little late in writing this (37 days to be exact) but better late than never, right? I try to write a letter to each of my children on their birthday as part of my gift to them. It's my way of sharing who they are and how I feel as I watch them grow each year. So, this letter is in honor of Paisley's fourth birthday.

Dear Paisley,
Happy 4th birthday, sweet pea. I am amazed every day when I think about the fact that I have a 4 year old now. Has it really been that long? It seems so recent that I was holding you for the first time and I can still remember vividly how in love I was with you the first time I laid eyes on you. I can tell you one thing: my love for you has only grown stronger over the years.

I'd like to tell you a little about yourself at age 4:
First of all, you are such a bright light to so many that know you. Your teacher last year told me that if you ever went missing, I could find you at her house. She loved your sweet spirit so much - and so do your Daddy and I. All of the kids in your class were given an award at the end of the year - and your award was "Miss Generous". She said that you are always willing to help others and give a generous word. The other teachers in your preschool hut all know you well because you always had a compliment for them as you'd wait in the carpool line (i.e. "I love your hair today." "Blue looks really pretty on you."). You have made me smile so many times by hugging me and telling me what a pretty smile I have or that you love the way I wear my hair. I hope you never lose that sweetness of spirit.

You are also strong-willed. You march to the beat of your own drum and no one tells you otherwise. No one is going to convince you of something if you don't want to believe it. You are a perfectionist and will throw something away or destroy it in frustration if it is not exactly right or how you pictured it. You love to draw and paint - and Nana and I think you are quite the artist. We may be biased but you really are pretty artistic for your age. You sing all of the time. You love to sing in the car (in fact, we play the same VBS CD every day and you never get tired of it), on the potty, at dinner, while you are playing or drawing, etc. You even make up your own words sometimes.

You are so close to reading - and can actually sound out quite a few words already. It's very cool to watch. I know it's just a matter of time before you are reading books to me (instead of me reading to you). Your favorite books lately are "The Giving Tree", "Once I ate a Pie", "Fancy Nancy" (any of them), and a Usborne collection of children's bible stories we have. You still love to learn and pick up on things so quickly. I hope that is one quality that you do not outgrow.

You take gymnastics, swimming and soccer. I am sure you get your athletic capabilities from your dad! Our hope is not that you are the best but that you love being active because it will keep you healthy and strong all of your life. I'd love for you to take dance lessons one day but we'll wait a little while for that. I don't think you're ready for something so structured. (In fact, when you played soccer last year - it was all I could do to get you to participate... you'd rather do your own thing).

You love to cook with me, Nana and Grandma. And you love to play dress-up: both with your friends and with your dolls. If you are not dressed up like Cinderella or Ariel, then you are in your flannel pajamas (no matter how hot it is outside) with your fuzzy socks on. You crack me up!

Some of the things I love best about you are how you love to hold my hand and cuddle. You ask me to sleep with you every night, and even though I don't... I secretly wish that I could. I love that you watch how I do things and you try to do them exactly the same way. You are very excited to be a big sister again - you knew I was carrying a baby girl from the very beginning and you love to share it with everyone. You rub my belly and talk to her all of the time. You tell everyone that your baby sister will be here in "Octember" (we're working on not merging October and November together). You are already so helpful with Colby. You really love him and play with him well (it wasn't always this way but you have blossomed into a wonderful, loving, protective big sister), I can't wait to see you with your baby sister!!

Paisley, I just love you so much. I want you to know that you make me happy every day when your sweet voice wakes me up. I love our time together when we make your bed, put together a puzzle, or sing and dance. You are a special young lady and I'm so proud that you are mine. I love you with all of my heart, babygirl!
Happy 4th birthday!

No comments: