Monday, August 31, 2009

Advice anyone?

So, after I mentioned it in my last blog post... it actually happened. I must have had intuition that this conversation was coming my way. I was walking Paisley to school this morning when out of the blue she asked me how the baby was going to get out of my belly. I was semi-panicked (because I hadn't thought through what I would tell her)... but I responded that I would go to the hospital and the doctor would help me get her out. 

She seemed satisfied at first... but after thinking about it for a moment, she said "Just like a chick hatches from an egg?" 
"Very similar," was my reply. 
Again, she was silent for a few minutes. Then she repeated, "So, how does the baby come out again?"
At this moment I saw her teacher and quickly changed the subject. And that is how we left it.

Now I've managed to put her off for a little while, but knowing Paisley this question will eventually re-surface. This is where all of you come into the picture. I'm asking for your advice. Even if you are a "Blurker" (a blog lurker who doesn't like to comment), I would appreciate if you'd click on the comment link just below this post (it's in blue) and offer your advice for how I should handle telling my 4 year old how babies are born. Any advice you can offer will be great!

Thanks in advance!

3 comments:

Jack's Family said...

Oh my goodness!! Google it! See what other people have said and throw your own idea of how you want to tell her together. Me, I am lucky, they just saw me open and take the baby out! No need for me to bring in the impossible and make it sound possible:)

leigh ann said...

Ok, you might think this is gross. But I just told my kids that God made a special hole right near my pee-pee hole that is perfectly designed for the baby to come out. One day I had to take Brad into the doctor's office with me, and I was horrified to look up and see him intently studying the poster on my OB/GYN's wall of the women's legs spread open. But he was completely in a scientific frame of mind at that point and casually asked, "Is that the hole, Mommy?" I'm a firm believer in as much truth as you think they can handle. You're the most qualified to make that call. Have fun!

Teresa Howard said...

there are some great books out there- i have some in my lending library- go to the local library and look around for something age appropriate- but i believe that you need to use real words like vagina and uterus and penis- sorry- i don't like words like pee pee hole. or you can teach her the sanskrit word for the whole sexual and reproductive parts of a woman being her yoni.

i think kids need to know their body parts and what they are used for and how they work - the way God made them to work.

i also don't like the idea of having to have a doctor help you have the baby concept- the truth is i have been with you both times and you gave birth- you were not delivered- your body and your mind worked together to birth her and her brother- you could have done it without the doctor at all- your body was made to birth- and i like the idea of teaching paisley how that again is part of God's plan.

like breastfeeding- teaching her that is the way it is done... she will soon if she has not already - be nursing her dolls- just as she is practicing being a good mom herself!