Wednesday, December 3, 2008

In Memory of My Granddad


Today would have been my granddad's 91st birthday. He died earlier this year just after celebrating the big 9-0 with his 4 children, 7 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. He was a Presbyterian minister and many of you met him when officiated at our wedding, or when he baptized my children. He was always there for me when it was most important - and, actually, even when it wasn't so important. He was just there - plain and simple! I cannot tell you how blessed I feel to have shared such precious moments in my life with him and to have introduced him to his only 2 great-grandchildren... whom he absolutely cherished. The look of pride in his eyes when he spoke of Paisley or Colby, or when he showed them off to his friends at the retirement home, was something I'll cherish forever. I will do my best over the years to adequately convey to my children how much their great-grandfather adored them. I know I'll never do it justice, but I hope they will feel his love in my words. Paisley still remembers him and speaks of him occasionally. I hope she never forgets... although I'm afraid she will. He was a loving father, a proud grandfather and a doting great-grandfather. Above all, he loved the Lord and served him as much as anyone on this earth could. I feel confident that when he arrived in heaven, God embraced him and said "Well done, my good and faithful servant!" (Matthew 25:21) I know my grandmother was waiting with loving arms - probably saying "what took you so long!" It gives me great comfort to think of them up there together - there is no where else my granddad wanted to be. But I still miss him! Selfishly, I wasn't ready for him to go - I wanted more time. 

I would encourage you to take a moment to give someone you love a call today: a grandparent, a parent, an aunt. You just never know what tomorrow may bring.
In loving memory of William H. Boyd:
how I miss him so!

No comments: