Friday, December 19, 2008

Reneging on the baby Jesus


As Christmas gets closer, I have found a new love and appreciation for one piece of the holiday decor. Every time I enter my family room, I find myself skipping over the lights and the adorable ornaments that have caught my attention so many times in the past, and instead being drawn to the nativity scene on my hearth. I admit that in the past I have taken this sweet piece of symbolism for granted. I would put it under my tree or on a shelf merely for decoration - never taking even 5 seconds to consider what it really means and why we put it out for Christmas. Oh, of course, I know the nativity represents the story of Jesus' birth and the true meaning of Christmas: I haven't forgotten that. Just singing the words of "Away In A Manger" and "Silent Night" can make me teary-eyed in a instant. Every bell I hear from the Salvation Army bucket or every child's request I pick off the angel tree at church reminds me that there is so much more to Christmas than Santa or gifts. God gave us his Son so we could be saved and know a better life... isn't that what we should be doing for others at this time of year: giving to those less fortunate; offering a hand to someone in need; showing love to those who love you and even those who don't. These are the things that God did for us so many years ago when He gave us the greatest gift and these are the things He would want us to do in celebration of Jesus' birth.  At least that's what I think, and when I look at my nativity scene I am reminded of that and so much more.

Our neighbors and good friends down the street were "given" an inflatable nativity scene for their front yard. It is definitely one of those situations where they are trying to embrace the spirit for which this gift was given... and put aside their lack of desire for displaying it. (They subscribe to the belief that inflatables in the yard are on the tacky side, but all of the children on the street (including their own) love it so much that they didn't have the heart to take it down.) Well, as you can imagine, Paisley just adores their "gift" and wants to go see Mary, the baby Jesus and the 3 wise men(s) (as she calls them) everyday. Last week, I mentioned the word "gold" in relation to the color of my nail polish, and she said (pointing to my toes) "yes, this one is gold, this one is myrrh, and this one is frankincense." Then she added, "Let's take the 3 wise men(s) in Carter's yard some gifts too". I asked her what she had in mind and she replied "Lollipops." 

So we did. 
We took Joseph, Mary, the baby Jesus and the 3 wise men(s) some Dum Dums. And she gave them to each one of them with such care and love... only she reneged about 10 minutes into it. I guess we really are all plagued by greed and desire. What can I say! My daughter is an indian giver to the baby Jesus. I guess of all people, He will understand. Thank goodness for forgiveness!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

hysterical!! very well written story - i love it : )

joanna said...

It's the thought that counts, right? That is such a sweet girl!