Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I feel the hope too!

No, I didn't vote for him.
No, I didn't think he was the best choice for our country.
No, I wasn't initially excited when he won.
It was a policy thing for me.
And I was disappointed in the early hours of November 4th when it became clear how the election would end.
But I watched the coverage. I watched the celebration. I watched the tears of millions of Americans - of all colors, race and religions. I listened to his acceptance speech - it was eloquent (as he often is). And I found myself wanting to believe.

I still want to believe!

I want to believe that he stands for bi-partisanship. That he stands for peace. That he stands for hope and possibility. That he doesn't care what party you are in as long as you have a solution that might help with some of our nation's challenges. I want to believe that he cares about bringing us together as a country. I want to believe that he will do what is necessary to protect us from terrorists and other evils in the world. I want to believe that he will stand behind our troops. I want to believe that he really is the family guy that he seems to be. That he loves God and will place all important decisions in His hands. I want to believe all that.

It's inauguration day and I feel it.
I feel the history being made.
I feel the excitement.
I feel the hope and optimism.
I almost wish I was there - watching all of those people celebrate this historic day for our country. I was there in 2004 and it was awesome then. I can only imagine the energy that is there today. I get teary eyed thinking of Dr. King and all that he fought for that has now been achieved. I am proud to live in a country where we can elect an african-american president.

The truth is that no matter what party I belong to, I have always been patriotic above all else. My love for America is stronger than any party or any politician. And I will stand behind any leader we have (even Clinton) because we are nothing if we do not stand together. If we cannot put aside our differences and work together to strengthen our country, then we will destroy ourselves eventually. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies in this country... sometimes.

So today I find myself hoping. I hope that he is all that he portrays himself to be. I hope that he can do a lot of good for our country. I hope that he trusts in God for everything and keeps Him at the center of our nation.
I hope. Don't you hope too?

May God bless America!
And may God watch over and guide our new President - Barack Obama!

1 comment:

leigh ann said...

Here's hoping! Thanks for this. :)