Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why I LOVE Paisley's teacher!

I just learned an amazing lesson from someone I didn't even know six months ago. She has given me such an amazing gift... just by sharing her wonderful perspective with me. Before I explain what I'm talking about, allow me to backup a few years and share with you a bit of history on this...

Paisley started going to a "Mother's Day Out" program when she was 14 months old at a wonderful church around the corner. We absolutely loved it so naturally when she turned 2, we signed her up for the 2 year old class there. She was originally placed (by the Director of the school - and I now feel by God as well) in the upper 2's class. However, I wanted her to be with some children she knew from the year before, so I asked that she be switched to the lower 2's class. BIG, BIG mistake. I now know to never mess with God's plan!! The problem was I didn't see this as God's plan back then... but I certainly do now. Paisley was miserable in the lower 2's class... and was crying every morning when I dropped her off and every afternoon when I picked her up. Something was definitely off and I knew it. She never cried like this the year before. I went to check on her one day in class and found it to be more like a nursery than a "class"... they had an assistant teacher who was great, but no head teacher yet and it always seemed like complete chaos in there. She never had any art or activities in her folder and I began to wonder what teaching was going on in there. I had a friend who's child was in the upper 2's class and he was constantly coming home with projects in his folder and he LOVED going to school. And the teachers in his class seemed really great with the kids. I began the conversation with the Director to move her to that class. It wasn't easy... the Director wanted me to be patient and give the other class a chance (even after Paisley had been there for 5 weeks and was still crying all the time). I knew in my gut that she belonged in the upper 2's and fought hard to get her moved there. And it was immediately evident that I was right! She instantly became happier and smiled every day. And she absolutely loved her teachers!! In fact, I loved her teachers too!!! They are amazing women and I thank God regularly that Paisley was able to transfer over and have them in her life. It ended up being the best thing I could have done to transfer her back where she originally belonged.

Well, knowing what happened last year, I made a promise to myself not to interfere with God's plan this year and to let Him place Paisley in the class where she belonged. She was changing schools and I had no idea what to expect... except that I knew that this was also a christian school and she would be loved and taught by godly women (and men). As the beginning of the school year approached several of my neighbors (whose children also attend this school) told me that they hoped Paisley got Mrs. X (I'm not using names for obvious reasons) because she was wonderful and everyone loved her! I heard this from 5 or 6 people and began to feel anxious about who she would get - knowing nothing about the other teachers in her grade. When we arrived at the orientation and I saw that she got Mrs. Y, I was practically in tears. Here I had trusted God to place her in the best class and she had not been placed with the "coveted" Mrs. X. Not only that, but one of my friend's children was in the other class and would not be with Paisley - and I had hoped they'd be together. I was so sad. My friend, Amy, saw me at orientation and saw my concern in my eyes. Her son had been in Mrs. Y's class last year and loved her. She helped me feel secure that Mrs. Y was a terrific teacher and it would be okay. I took a deep breath and told myself to trust that God knew best what Paisley needed. (Side note: for all of you who think I sound crazy... no one warns you before becoming a parent how STRESSFUL decisions such as which school, which district, and which teacher can be on you!! I mean - where did that come from? I never worried about these things before!!)

So... moving along. It turned out that Paisley seemed to be where she needed to be. I could see that on many different levels even before yesterday. And then there came the gift... this wonderful, wonderful gift that Mrs. Y gave to me. I was talking to her after school and we were discussing how Paisley is a July birthday and so she's one of the youngest in the class, which means that she is more immature than the kids who turned 4 in the fall or winter (basically she's almost a full year younger than some kids in her class). She also has a lot of energy (for this, I blame her father) so she doesn't sit still very well. While we were discussing it, Mrs. Y wasn't complaining at all - in fact, I can tell she truly adores Paisley - but we were debating which class she should be in next year considering her immaturity. And I asked Mrs. Y if there was something I could do as a parent to calm Paisley down and help her to sit still more. And this is what she said to me, "You know, Lisa, God made her that way! We don't want to change the beautiful person that God created her to be, we just want to help her harness that energy so she can use it in the best way possible."

And there it is - two simple sentences - yet one of the most precious gifts I've ever received. She is there to teach my daughter, but instead she taught me. Sometimes I get frustrated at how energetic Paisley can be when she won't follow my directions. And I admit there are times I've wished she wasn't that way. I hope that I never forget the lesson Mrs. Y gave me yesterday: that God made Paisley this way and I should never try to change that. She is a perfect creation in God's eyes... and I need to embrace that and love that about her (as well as help her to use it wisely). I will forever be grateful to this loving, Godly woman for teaching me something I should have seen all along. I was emotional about it all day yesterday after our conversation. I realize now that God definitely placed Paisley right where she belonged. Mrs. Y is the best teacher for Paisley because she is patient and loving, and able to meet each child right where they are... and not where we think they should be. Thank you Mrs. Y for the way you love my child. And thank you God for giving Paisley Mrs. Y.

1 comment:

joanna said...

What a fabulous teacher! And a great lesson you just passed on to me! I so need to remember that...